Monday, March 19, 2012

Secret Recipe Club~ St. Patrick's Day Cookies

It's time for the Secret Recipe Club reveal, and I am so excited! I was assigned a really great blog this month. It is called Art From My Table, and it is written by Chellie. She has posted such a wonderful array of so many different foods, that I had a difficult time deciding which recipe to choose. After a lot of internal debate, I chose her "Stained Glass Cookies", and I am so glad I did.  They were the perfect choice!
 Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies
printable recipe
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Sour Cream
Apple Flavored Jolly Ranchers
(about 1 per cookie)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Unwrap your jolly rancher candies, place in a plastic
zipper or zip lock bag, and crush with a hammer, or
like I did, with the end of a big flashlight.
(I couldn't find the hammer) :)
Place your shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla in your bowl.
Cream together.
In a separate bowl, mix together your salt, baking soda,
and flour. 
Add to the shortening mixture, alternating with the sour cream.
Start and end with the flour mix. Roll out your dough and cut out
your shamrocks. You may want to place the dough in the 
fridge for about an hour before cutting it out.
These are the cookie cutters I used. I cut out the large
shamrock, and moved the cutout to the baking sheet.
Then I cut out the small one.
Fill the open area of the shamrock with some of the 
crushed jolly rancher.
Bake for 7-8 minutes.
Cool on rack, allowing for the centers to harden.
Be careful, the centers are very hot!
Enjoy!

When Chellie posted this recipe, she designed it to be used
for Valentines Day. She originally posted it as a
decoder cookie, which I found adorable!
It is such a versatile cookie, it can be used for lots 
of holidays and celebrations, and the decoder idea could
 be used for so many different themes~I just love the idea!!

Thank you Chellie for making this so easy for me!
This is a great recipe, and one I will use over
and over again!




22 comments:

  1. these are adorable!! Such a fun, festive treat :) I actually had your blog this month and had a ton of fun picking out a sweet treat to make... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun are these for St. Patty's Day! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and creative dessert! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so cool!! You must have really wow-ed whoever you served these cookies to! I will certainly have to try these out in the near future... great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lOVE jolly ranchers!!! And these are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! May I ask where you found the cookie cutters? I've been looking high and low for a set like this, but to no avail.

    Thanks,
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard of this technique but had never used it. The shamrocks totally rock!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your shamrock cookies! Cute and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do need to make these--maybe for Easter. What a great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! They look wonderful and perfect for the St. Patty's Day holiday. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking cookies right at the right time :) Love the way the centers turned out!
    Nice post..

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous idea!!! I love stained glass cookies, but have never made them...now I'm inspired :) Great SRC pick~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so pretty! Love the stained glass idea - adaptable to any holiday! Bookmarking this one for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  14. THESE have to be the most fun cookies EVER! I can imagine so many delightful ways to use this technique - Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun and festive too! The cookies themselves sound really yummy with the sour cream added in. Great pic and adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Teri...these turned out just awesome! I have always wanted to try making stained glass cookies. A great recipe for any occasion! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Teri, these cookies look beautiful. You did such a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!! These are amazing! I love that the jolly ranchers become the "stained glass". This is so awesome, I absolutely have to keep this recipe in mind for other holiday cookies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum these look seriously delicious - stain glass on st patty's day is awesome!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to show you some blog luv! def enjoyed this post :) new follower!

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun recipe, I would love to make these with my daughter...unfortunately she couldn't eat them due to allergies but I think she'd have fun making them.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete